I am a weary mom. Obviously. I know, many days, ok most days, my messy ponytail and dark circles scream it in more ways than one. It doesn’t matter how much make-up I wear, it is written all over my face.
Just in case you are looking for some other things to say to me, or any other weary mom you meet, here are 10 Totally Better Things to Say Instead:
1. How are you? (And mean it.)
2. I’m buying you coffee. (Buy me fancy overpriced coffee and you are my BFF4Ever.)
3. Can I watch your kids or send over a babysitter so you can get a break?(A friend did this for me once and it changed my life. For real.)
4. What is one thing you really need right now? (So many times moms just run on empty and don’t identify their own needs. She has them, too.)
5. Tell me one thing your kids did you are proud of. (We need to be reminded our kids are great and some people want to hear about it.)
6. How can I pray for you? (This may cause her to tear up, but tears are ok. Prayer shows you love her.)
7. The dishes can wait. (Moms need permission to let some things go for a time. Especially during the holidays or busy seasons. Be that person.)
8. Do you want to grab lunch sometime? (Show her you are interested in her and spending real time together.)
9. I really like your shirt, shoes, earrings, etc. (Find something to compliment authentically so she knows you SEE her.)
10. You are doing a great job. (We all doubt this. You can’t tell us this enough. So repeat it, often.)
Proverbs 18:21 says, “Words have power in matters of life and death, and those who love them will savor their fruit.”
Words spoken with grace can breathe life. The next time you see a weary mom who looks it in every way, speak life and watch her shoulders lift a little and her eyes brighten. And if that weary mom happens to be me start with #2. Because, coffee is one of my love my love languages.
What would you like to hear? Leave a comment!